Friday, April 8, 2022

6.9 Thank You


2016


Dear diary,   It's been a long week and a lovely night.  I could have danced all night and done a thousands things. 



 

It all started a week ago.  On this particular Saturday, I brought in the newspaper and gave it to Ma'am like I normally do.  Apparently the big news of the day is that Prince James Phillip William Charles is returning home to learn the reins of being future King of Newcrest.  In honour of his return that in a week's time that there will be a ball which all eligible maids  are told to attend by royal command.




Leah, Denise were very excited about it.  Sara Wendy was less so. .  I said "that means I can go too!"  Denise teased me with Leah following (doesn't want to blow her cover if being a friend in front of her mother)- of me asking the prince to "hold my broom" and dancing with the prince.   I said "Why not? I'm still a member of this family, and it says by royal command, every eligible maiden is to attend"


Ma'am replied "Yes,  then it does so.  Well I see no reason why you can't go.. if you get all your work done"  "and if you can find something suitable to wear"   Me "Oh I will, I promise, thank you Ma'am"



I do my normal work but now I also have to make and sew dresses for Leah, Denise and Sara Wendy and an outfit for Ma'am.  I'm literally working night and day!


And when I'm working night  and day my step-family is having a mud bath for the ball.



Since I'm go overworked I have to try to make my dress at night after the others have gone to be. I'm making it out of an old dress of Sara Wendy's mother, Cousin Raven.   We're skipping the stories nights due to the ball being prepared.  But I do miss them


 I swear my cousin is singing in the background sometimes :   Cinderelly, Cinderelly, night and day its Cinderelly!  Do everything together Cinderelly!   Not that I blame her..I think the reason that Ma'am,  and Denise is working me harder the normal is they don't want me to make a dress for the ball.


Sara Wendy pointed it out to me in the garden about two days before the ball.  "Selene, you know they're overworking you so you can't get your dressed finished in time!"  I replied "Well its not like I can just drop the work and give a finger to them to finish my dress. it means I didn't keep my end of the bargain" 


Turns out that Sara Wendy was right.  I didn't get the dress down and the night of the ball   The family's transportation came and I knocked on the door of the dressing area (formerly the playroom) and Ma'am came out and  I said "The limo is here."  



Ma'am said "Cinder your not ready child,  why?" 

 I said "I'm not going" 

Ma'am: 
Not going? Oh what  shame.  But of course there will be other times, and...

I replied "Yes, goodnight"

I then went upstairs and find the finished outfit. I guess after Sara Wendy changed she put the finishing touches on the dress when I was telling Ma'am that the limo was here 


The family was just about to leave when I shouted  "WAIT!"   I continued "Please wait for me!  Isn't it lovely? Do you think it will do?"  I did mention it was an old dress of Cousin Raven's, Sara Wendy's mother so it cost her nothing.    Denise said  that  her mother can't let me go.  And  Ma'am said "We did make a bargain, and I never go back on my words" 



 Ma'am said  "the filthy old thing was falling to pieces, and don't want her daughters either by blood or marriage to have their prospects  ruin by a 'ragged servant girl' which is all I am and all I will EVER be" 


Ma'am finished with "NO ONE IS GOING TO OUTSHINE MY DAUGHTERS EITHER BY BLOOD OR BY MARRIAGE!"


While she was talking she and Denise (Leah was doing it less enthusiastically) of ruining my dress and I ended up in rags again and they left.  I stood in front of the mirror and reached out wondering

Who am I?


When I was moping near the mirror a woman asked me what was wrong and   I told her (she claimed to be a fairy godmother)  that I wanted to go to the ball.  She told me to cheer up because I WAS going to the ball .



We went into the backyard and I got a small pumpkin I had for other reasons and she did magic and the pumpk grew bigger and bigger. 


She did more magic and turned my ragged outfit into what she told me is an Indian (South Asian Indian, not the wrong name kind) dress-a Sarai/Saree.  I have golden slippers to go with it and a necklace which is suppose to be important but she wouldn't tell me why


The fairy godmother said "This magic will only last until midnight so you need to be out of there by midnight."   I replied "I will fairy godmother"


and off I went to the ball


When  I got to the palace everyone went silent.  A man came up to me and bowed to me. I curtesy.   . 



We then started dancing  


other people were apparently in the dinning room. 


The other man and I were so interested in each other we didn't really notice anyone else in the room.  I wondering why everyone was looking at us. 



So this is love/mmm/so this is love/so this is what makes life divine
I'm all algow, mmm
and now I know (and now I know)
my heart has wings, mmm,
And I can fly
I'll touch every star in the sky
So this is the miracle
That I been dreaming of
Mm, mmm
So, this is love 


Ten mintues ago, I meet you, and we murmured our "how-do-you do's", I want to ring out the bells and fling out my arms 
and to sing out the news 

in the arms of my love I'm flying over mountain and meadow and glen
and I like it so well that for all I can tell  
I may never come down again!
I may never come down to earth again! 


We took a break and went out to the backyard.  I don't remember what we talked about but he asked me to become his girlfriend. I said yes. 


We took a picture together 


But right after the picture the clock struck midnight.  So I had to run quickly through the palace and down the steps and run a bit way home.  I think I left one of my slippers on the steps of the palace



By the time I got back to Cousin Sara Wendy's place the magic had all revert back to what it was before the FG changed it.


I stood in front of the mirror and said  out loudly "Thank you, fairy godmother" 



I then I decided to have a nap on the sofa in the living room. 


I guess I must have fallen deeply asleep since I didn't wake up until the family returned home at 5:30am 


I asked innocently "How was the ball?"   And Denise came over and said "It was fine until a mystery Indian princess showed up half-way through and the man of the hour decided to spend most of the night with the Indian Princess."  









No comments:

Post a Comment