Friday, August 5, 2022

7.5 Labyrinth



Dear Diary,  I don't know what to do.   There's more rumours about HAM then there was just five months ago 



Dan has to go away to Miltary Lawyer camp because he solved some kind of special exam. So the night before he had to leave we (HAM, Dan and I) decided to try to find the centre of the maze.  HAM and I got lost in the labyrinth but Dan being the smart person he is.. found the centre 






*Some time later* 

HAM was home sick on the Tuesday and Mom didn't want me potential spreading germs around. I hadn't seen her in a couple of days but her hair was cut short 



HAM then tried to speak to me after breakfast basically breaking down in front of me


But Madeline texting me asking where I was and why I was late for the group project meeting. I had to tell her that I couldn't make it because of HAM being sick and Mom not wanting me to spread germs.


And I basically told HAM that I didn't really care about her anymore 



A couple of days latter  we were back at school.    I came out of class again only to find out my friends Madaline, Charlene, and Susana  were gossiping behind HAM again.   I then asked if they had seen the last episode of the Queen B episode which was the previous night.     Madeline asked "Do you think the Professor is going to have to quit his job because of his interest in the main character?" and after we talked about the episode we then went on a smoking break



When I got home I looked up the newest rumour it was started by Susana and it's nasty. 


All this rumours going out of control making me think of the play School of Scandal.. Here's my review of School of Scandal 






 


School of Scandal

This is a play about some rich nobility of the 1700s. A older lady who was the gossiped about in her youth has turned into the Queenbee of Society who is trying to trap two nephews (Joseph and Charles) of someone she is found of. Sir Oliver the uncle of the two boys above doesn't know about their moral characteristics and chaos ensure with what happens next.  A scene near the end reminds me of an Opera setting from Phantom of the Opera because the character(s) involve have to hide behind a dressing screen.






 Speaking of rumours that makes me think of the maze that the characters in the School of Scandal are trapped in because of rumours old and new.   And Mazes make me think of David Bowie's Labyrinth movie 





Labyrinth 

Be careful with what you say..everything might not be what its seen

Sara (Jennifer Connelly), a teen, who still plays with childish stuff  is asked to look after her half-brother,Toby, one night.  That night because she was tired of always baby-sitting her half-brother  foolishly asks for the Goblin King (David Bowie) to take Toby away. She regrets her decision and asks Jareth, the Goblin King,  to return her brother.  Jareth is "generous" and tells her that she has 13 hours to get to the Castle beyond the Goblin City through the labyrinth, if she doesn't Toby will become a goblin forever. The normal rules of fairytales and fantasy stories are turned on its head in this interesting story.  The step-mother  the brief time we see her seems to be a decent person, and the  nice "prince" person is the villain. Instead of being offered fruit by a stranger or the villain, its offered to Sara  by a friend. I do wonder if  Crouch Sr's weird names for Percy in Harry Potter might have been inspired in part by both Sara and Jareth calling the goblin, Hoggle, the wrong names (hogwarts/hedgewart/hogglehead) in this movie. Hoggle is one of the many friends that Sara makes through out the movie,  along with Ludo and Sir Didymus (two of the three are Muppets are from Jim Henson company) and his dog Ambrosius, who looks very much like Sara's dog, Merlin  in real life. There's a very strange staircase closer to the end of the movie puts you in mind of  M.C. Escher.  It's an interesting take on your normal fantasy stories





And speaking of Laybrniths it brings me back to the Laybrnith of Life- like the one that Alaska seemed to be trapped in  John Green's book Looking for Alaska 





Looking for Alaska by John Greene

What is the Labyrinth?

16 year old Miles "Pudge" Halter a teen who is obsessed with last words of famous people, starts a private school in Alabama to search for the "Great Perhaps". This is where he meets Chip "The Colonel" Martin and a beautiful, emotionally unstable prank-loving Alaska Young, whom he starts to have a crush on, among others in their in-circle. Their circle is those stereotypical "bad" teen group with illegal smoking and drinking. At the halfway point after an interesting (though drunken) half-night- tragedy strikes leaving "The Colonel" and Pudge to obsess over cryptic clues about who Alaska really is outside of their perceived versions of her. There's a rival group called the Weekday Warriors which hate Pudge's group because last year Pudge's group had  someone from them expelled.  Near the end of the book there's  a very interesting prank that Alaska had previously thought of, where Pudge's group without Alaska has to team up with their rival group the Weekday Warriors to pull it off.   This and a later book Turtles All the Way Down are the closest to John Green's life then the other  two books.






_______________________________________
Back to real life

I was spending some time with some of Wade's friends.  One of them, Rocco is dating my friend Charlene.  Rocco and I like playing Foosball together, 




and  Ralph and I like to be able to play Don't Wake the Llama game 


and Victor and I like to wind down listening to music at a table









No comments:

Post a Comment